Tuesday, January 6, 2009

So it begins...

So, today was the first day working on The Unit, and dear Christ, it was a long day. First I feel like I should say a few things about this blog. I'll do my best to ensure that it is updated daily, but no guarantees on that score. I'm kind of bad about updating blogs. Second, this will be super informal. Even though I'm technically doing this to ensure that I get credit for my adventure in Los Angeles, I still think it would be easier for me if I can use words like "stoked," "hyped," and the occasional profanity. It's how I talk, so why try and hide it? Third, because people like my mom will be reading this blog (whatsup Alane?), and she has no idea how you make a TV show I'll explain for those of you who, like Alane, aren't in the know about television production. Finally, I don't have a digital camera, so no photos. Unless I go and buy one. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. Oh, and I know that the name of the blog is a cliche. I'm okay with that.

So, how did the first day go? Well, it went pretty well. Because I'm car-less (which I'm beginning to find it not the best thing to be in the City of Angels) I found myself dependent upon the Los Angeles transit system. A daunting transit system to say the least, and one which rivals New York subways in terms of sheer size and complexity. No joke. Well, I managed to navigate the murky waters of said transit system without too much difficulty in the morning, but I did get on a rapid when I was supposed to get on a local and ended up way the hell out in Santa Monica. But that's why you budget time.

The first day was pretty exciting. I got settled in and met many of the people who work on the show (most of whom were either writers or EPs). They shoot the show on a lot in Santa Clarita, which is 40 minutes or so to the north. Or so I've been told. So really there wasn't a whole lot to show except for offices. But, it does help to curb whatever temptation I might've had to wander down to the set when I wasn't supposed to. My day, essentially, as me observing the writer's room. There were a half dozen or so writers working in the room, breaking down stories and trying to fix plot points.

A television show has, most of the time, three stories running over the course of a single episode. There is the A plot, which is really the driving action of the individual episode. Then there is the B plot, which is a subplot, and usually has implications for future episodes. Then there is the C plot, and I suppose you can guess what that is.

They were working on the C plot for an upcoming episode. Right now the writer's are breaking down the episodes up until the end of the season. I'd say its best for all parties involved if I kept the upcoming story threads and plotlines under wraps. You'll just have to watch the show (Sunday nights at 10 on CBS). Sitting in a room for five hours watching people talk can actually be more fun than you might imagine. It felt like working in a screenwriting workshop at Midd. It actually took a lot for me to remember my place and restrain myself from jumping into the conversation. I have to be honest here, I'm not up to speed on season four of the show, so in addition to not wanting to sound like a jackass, I also don't want to step on people's toes. This is, after all, how these people make a living. This does make my position somewhat awkward in that I don't really participate and there isn't a ton of work for me to do otherwise, so I feel like a bit of an interloper as I sit around watching. I'm not entirely sure what they've had past Midd interns do, but for now I'm happy to just take a back seat, at least until I feel like the office has gotten used to my presence.

For now I think that'll be it for me. I'll post some more later with thoughts about the city itself, as I have had a little bit of an opportunity to explore Los Angeles. But like I said, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment