Thursday, January 15, 2009

Post the fourth

So, as the days go by I'm beginning to feel more and more useful around the writers room. My duties, ill defined though they may be, are expanding little by little. Today, for instance, I was asked to do research to help writing the season finale. Again, it doesn't sound super exciting, but its still better than nothing. Plus, I'm around to help, and so I feel like its important to do the tasks that I'm assigned to do with enthusiasm.

In other news, rumor has it David Mamet will finally show up in the writer's room sometime next week. So, I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back and re-watch a few of his films. So, I've been doing that for about a week. Not really for that fan boy, "oh my God, I love your work" moment, but just because it would be a good idea. I watched "The Verdict", "House of Games", and "Glengarry Glen Ross," so far. Hopefully I'll find the time to squeeze in "Ronin," (which he essentially wrote, but did so under a pseudonym because of a dispute with the WGA), "State and Main," and "The Spanish Prisoner." One thing I've noticed while watching these films is how incredibly stylized the dialog is. It isn't realistic, it's stilted and awkward at times, with performances to match. It took me a while to get used to it, and sometimes I'm still not used to it, but once I did I really began to pay attention to the way he tells his story, and how the plot unfolds and when and where he gives the audience information. He really is a fantastic craftsman, even if I do find the dialog a bit...well, awkward. By all accounts Mamet is really nice in person, but demanding of writers and, from what little information I am able to gleam from others, a bit condescending to other writers he sees as less than himself. To be honest I'm a bit intimidated at the prospect of meeting him, but I'm sure that'll pass and he'll turn out to be a pretty nice guy. I mean, he does like blue collar guys, and he did go to college in Vermont, so at least there is some common ground there. We'll see....

1 comment:

  1. He actually lives in Vermont, and wrote a book about his love for the place called South of the Northeast Kingdom - worth skimming to be able to talk in Vermonter code...

    ReplyDelete